When it comes to fuelling your muscles with the right kinds of nutrients needed to support optimum function and performance, there are 3 main factors you should consider:
- Instant energy - Plugging straight into a power source so that you can get up and get at it in a hurry is a massive advantage.
- Sustainable energy - Making sure you have slow release energy so that your muscles have the stamina to go the distance.
- Recovery - Each time you push your muscles to the max, you are actually stressing and tearing the muscles fibres. Which is a good thing, because this means your body can work to repair and rebuild them stronger and more resilient than before. In order to do this, you need to ensure you’re fuelling your body with all 9 essential amino acids needed. AKA: ‘the building blocks of life’.
This delicious ‘Choc-Berry Power Smoothie’ not only ticks all three of these boxes, it also tastes amazing. But you don’t have to take our word for it… Try it yourself!
Choc-Berry Power Smoothie
- 1 ½ cup Almond milk
- 1 scoop whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
- 1 small banana
- ⅓ cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp. Dark cocoa powder
- 4-6 cubes of ice
- Combine ingredients in your blender, placing the ice at the bottom, then blend on high for 1 minute.
- Serve in a tall glass. Enjoy!
Almond milk - A delicious source of protein and energy, almond milk is also rich in vitamin D and E, which both help keep your brain alert and focused on your goals.
Whey powder - Packed full of all 9 essential amino acids that are needed to repair and rebuild your muscles fibres.
Blueberries - A powerhouse of antioxidants, blueberries help curb that post-exercise free-radical damage, plus give your muscles and brain an instant burst of energy.
Banana - Rich in potassium and carbohydrates, bananas help fight off fatigue, whilst providing you with both instant and long-lasting energy.
Dark cocoa powder - This delicious ‘chocolaty’ powder packs over 300 cell-fortifying phytochemicals, helping boost your immune system and fight off disease.
Ice cubes - Help keep your muscle cells hydrated, fighting of muscle fatigue.